Epson Runsense SF-810 - review and first aid for mac users!
Epson Runsense SF-810 review
As this year I decided to go to O-ringen (more about this read here), I started to look for a various training gear for my training and upcomming races. For the very first gear I was looking for a GPS watch with training functions, heart rate monitor etc. On the end my list came down to the 2 potential options: TomTom Runner Cardio and Epson Runsense SF-810. Both have integrated heart rate monitor, which is quite cool as you don't need any additional strap on your chest. Yes, you thinking now, wtf - from when Epson is doing watches. Actually it's Seiko corporation and that tells everything. Seiko name is coming time to time, e.g. on the charger.
It was very hard choice - both watches has a lot of features and at the same time they both different. Check my comparisation below:
|TomTom Runner Cardio||
|Epson Runsense SF-810||
I like new gadgets, so I decided to take risk and go with Epson watch. Even if there was only 2 reviews on the Amazon and one of them is not very positive regarding software. However for everything there is a solution - to mac users - read below.
My biggest concern was support of Windows software only, but I managed to upgrade watch firmware in 30 minutes, which is fine.
My first impresions are positive. It is easy to use (again, there was mentioned review otherwise). I didn't noticed nothing really complicated or so, found all functions I needed etc. There are also a few small nice touches:
- if watch is in sleep mode, after you move it, it will light up and automatically display screen
- you can configure your own 4 screens, which are useful during trainign or race
- really good backlight
One foolish thing I noticed - you can't adjust time manually, only by connecting to GPS... It means you need to go outdoor to setup time for the very first time.... I hope it will come with next firmware updates.
All answers to Mac users
Oficially Mac OS X is not currently supported (but there is iOS app for iPhone), but I have no any problems to use it with Mac OS X Yosemite. I can easily sync watch with my iPhone 5 through Epson Run Connect app. And basically you will need connect to PC/Mac only if you need to upgrade watch firmware. My epson watch came with firmware 1.0 and at the moment there is 1.11 version already released, so I would say you must to update your watch at the very first step. Below is really easy instruction, how to update watch firmware (however it's not official, so you will be doing this on your own risk ;) ).
How to upgrade watch firmware on MAC
- Download free software VirtualBox - we will use it to load windows on your Mac. Skip this step, if you already have it.
- Install Windows free testing version with pre-installed IE10 - open terminal and run this command:
curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | IEVMS_VERSIONS="10" bash
- Connect your Epson watch to Mac with USB cable.
- You will need to do all steps like on this instruction.
- Open VirtualBox, select Windows and open settings. Go to ports -> USB and enable USB controllers. Click plus icon to add USB filter - choose Seiko Epson SF Series from the list. Select this USB filter and click edit - delete everything except Name, Vendor ID and Revision. Save it.
- Disconnect watch from Mac.
- Now select Windows in VirtualBox and open.
- After Windows has been started, download and install Epson Run Connect desktop app from here.
- Then connect watch with USB cable - it should automatically recognize watch and install drivers.
- If everything was done correct, when you run app on windows, you will see popup with options to upload data from watch etc.
- Finally download watch firmware for SF-810 here and run it, follow on screen instructions.
- That's it!
If you have any questions, how to upgrade your epson Watch firmware, leave a comment below.
I'll hopefully update this review after a few month of use. so, if you interesting, just drop me a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you a notification, when here will be some new information.Tags: